The Process of Hiring a Concrete Contractor: Steps, Costs, & Benefits
When considering any home construction project, it is necessary to research and review your options. However, while many people understand the importance of such decisions, they are often overwhelmed by the number of contractors and the varying degree of estimates, which can lead to several misconceptions, including that the most expensive option is the best. Therefore, to ensure you are reviewing the most pertinent information, it is necessary to understand the process of hiring contractors, especially for concrete contractors.
6 Steps for Hiring A Concrete Contractor
1. Research Styles and Contractors
Concrete is a versatile material, and there is no need to settle for simple gray concrete devoid of pattern or style. A quick search online will show you various patterns, textures and colors for concrete installations. However, while your imagination may not be limited is design choices, you will need to make decisions that suit your home and landscape. A contractor should be able to help you make such decisions, but you should take your time researcher companies as well. Find several contractors in your area that appear to have positive reviews.
2. Call and Acknowledge Response Times
Once you have compiled a list of contractors and have an idea of the style you want for your installation project, it is time to contact every business on your list. The initial contact likely won’t be too involved. You will leave your contact information with a basic overview of the project. The thing you want to pay attention to most in this initial exchange is the response times. You want a contractor that prioritizes your business. If they can’t respond within a couple of days, then how will they fair sticking to a schedule?
3. Get Several Estimates and Compare
Out of the businesses that respond to you promptly, get estimates from the concrete installation services you feel most comfortable with. When reviewing the bids for the job, compare the timelines and the procedures as well as the costs for the line items. Discuss any discrepancies in the proposals. Also, make sure that every estimate includes a sample, allowing you to get a visual of the finished project.
4. Check References
Checking references is always advisable when hiring a contractor, but you must check more than the provided references. For example, do you know anyone who used the contractor? Friends and family are always a useful resource. Although to truly protect yourself from unscrupulous actors, it is better to check with the licensing body of your state. Also, make sure the company you want to work with has current insurance. Last, check the rating of the company with the Better Business Bureau.
5. Review and Sign Contract
Next, review the contract, ensuring that everything you discussed is written out in detail. If there is any detail of the contract you do not understand, then ask questions. Also, if you do not understand the documents and want clarification, it may be a good idea to have a lawyer review the paperwork. Once satisfied with the details, you can sign the papers so work can begin.
6. Approve the Sample
The first thing that should happen after the paperwork has been approved is the contractor should provide a sample of the finished project. If you accept the sample, then you can abide by the payment schedule previously discussed, making payments before and after each completed phase of the project.
Benefits of Hiring a Professional Concrete Contractor
If you decide to work with a professional concrete contractor, there are several benefits you will enjoy. They include:
- Knowledge: The biggest benefit of working with a professional concrete contractor is that they have knowledge in the industry that can use to help you. A concrete contractor has knowledge of specific materials, processes, and maintenance that they can use to point you in the right direction. That way, you make the best decision for your project, and you know how to take care of your concrete when you are done.
- Speed: A concrete contractor has worked with concrete countless times. Therefore, they know exactly what they need to do to get your project finished on time. If you want to save time on your concrete project, you should work with a professional who can help you.
- Money: Even though you have to compensate concrete contractors for their time, working with a professional contractor will actually save you money. A professional concrete contractor will complete the project correctly the first time around. That way, you don’t have to worry about spending extra money to repair the concrete later.
- Accuracy: A professional concrete contractor knows exactly how much of every material to use for your project. If you want your project to look beautiful when you are done, you need accurate measurements. A concrete contractor can help you with that.
These are just a few of the biggest benefits that come with working with a professional concrete contractor on your project.
Residential Concrete Costs
If you have a residential concrete project coming up, you might be wondering how much this will cost. There are several factors to consider, including:
Concrete Driveway Costs
Even though the exact cost of a concrete driveway can vary, it generally costs approximately $6 per square foot. This includes work to remove the existing material, deliver the new material, level the surface, and build a new driveway.
Stamped Concrete Costs
If you want to stamp your concrete driveway, there will be additional costs that accompany this project. In general, you should expect to pay approximately 10 percent more than the original quote if you want to get your concrete stamped.
Patios and Walkway Costs
Work with Professional Contractors from G&G Concrete
If you have a concrete project coming up, you should work with professionals who can assist you. At G&G Concrete, we have a tremendous amount of training and experience we can use to help you get the most out of your concrete project. A professional member of our team will work with you personally, customizing our products and services to meet your needs. That way, you can maximize your chances of being satisfied with the outcome of your project. If you would like to learn more about how we can help you, please contact us today. We look forward to working with you.